Burke Hospice and Palliative Care’s emergency preparedness plan is designed to ensure continuity of service and support to our hospice patients and their families. In the event of a disaster or emergency, below are some key details for point of reference.
· Burke Hospice staff are educated about disaster risks/planning and monitor potential and pending events closely.
· Burke Hospice administration and staff will assist patients in emergency planning to the greatest extent possible.
· Burke Hospice patients are encouraged to follow their personal emergency plans/instructions and are responsible for preparation appropriately.
· Burke Hospice is part of a county/region-wide emergency preparedness plan to provide uninterrupted care and harm prevention.
· Burke Hospice is a 24/7 patient care service. If we are unable to reach the patient by a standard vehicle due to flooding, downed trees, etc., we can and will enlist the help of emergency services.
· If the weather is severe, some needs may be handled over the phone versus a visit.
· It is important that the patient/family contact Burke Hospice for any immediate hospice needs.
· Depending on circumstances, patients may need to relocate to Burke Palliative Care Center or a Burke Hospice Contracted facility that services Burke Hospice patients.
· Burke Hospice will work closely with Burke Hospice facilities in the provision and care of our shared patients.
· Burke Hospice patients admitted or residing in a hospital or nursing home will be cared for according to the established disaster plan of that facility.
· In the event of relocation or evacuation, please contact Burke Hospice to inform us where you will be relocating.
Our patients/families are our priority and we will make every effort to ensure patient needs are covered and services are uninterrupted during a disaster or emergent event. Emergency planning includes preparing appropriately in advance for your medication, oxygen, supplies, equipment and clinical staff needs.
Burke Hospice operating hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. The Burke Hospice call center is open after hours or if office is closed and will manage calls and contact staff appropriately. The Burke Hospice phone number is 828-879-1601.
Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns.